Children Act Proceedings

Where possible, we always try to help our clients who have children to agree on what will happen to them without going to court.

We believe that their welfare is the most important thing.

However, if arrangements cannot be agreed, the courts have the power to make the following type of rulings:

  • A Residence Order determining where the children will live.
  • A Contact Order setting out the type and frequency of contact.
  • A Prohibited Steps Order limiting certain parental rights and duties (e.g. prohibiting one party from removing the child(ren) from the country either permanently or for a holiday)
  • A Specific Issue Order resolving particular disputes in connection with a child (such as whether one parent can change a child’s surname where the other objects, disputes about religious upbringing or medical treatment)

Parental responsibility is shared jointly between married parents, even after a divorce, so long as the child is under 18 years of age. Unmarried fathers acquire parental responsibility either by agreement with the mother of the children, or by order of the court, or if after the 1st December 2003 , when the father’s name is on the child(ren)’s birth certificate.

“I would just like to say how grateful I am for everything you have done for me. Yesterday’s decision was better than I could ever imagine and I am the happiest man on the planet.  I am now able to be a father again. Again, I so grateful for everything you have done and what outstanding solicitors you are.”

Back to top